A.K.A Independent Baptist Church
In 1817 the first white baptist church was established in Frankfort, KY at the SW corner of Broadway and Madison Street. The building was used inter=-changeably with all denominations. Black people that were brought to Kentucky by their owners were permitted to worship in the white church or in their private homes. Black people had designated sections in the church for seating. The saved black and white people were baptized and counted as members of the same church. Black people were not privileged to vote in church affairs for fear their vote would be a detriment to the church.
During the time slavery was recognized, black people were permitted to organize churches on September 24, 1832 the Board of Trustees made an organized effort to acknowledge the need for black people to have their own place of worship. The board members ruled that black people should not be forbidden to worship separately. Thia Black and John Ward established the first church for black people in Frankfort. The church was a small frame building which was nestled at the foot of the hill just beyond the penitentiary wall of North Frankfort. Mr. John Ward donated the ground where the church stood. The black baptist church was allowed to freely hold services until January 6, 1852 when they were banned due to a riotous incident during services. It was then ordered the church would be closed every night except one night in the week other than Sunday.
In 1865, at the close of the war between the states, the black baptists had seventeen independent churches in Kentucky. One of them was located in Frankfort. In researching the history of Frankfort and the black Baptist church, information supports that the Corinthian church is an off shoot of the First Baptist Church, Clinton Street, which began around 1832. As the result of church strife in the 1870's, the church split into two wings. One wing, called the Minority (presently known as the First Corinthian Baptist Church), withdrew and erected a house of worship on Mero Street. The other wing, called the Majority, retained the old house and continued to occupy it for many years. This church is now known as First Baptist Church. Corinthian Baptist church was rected onwhat was once the site of Cooper's pond, on the deepest portion of the bond.
The following members were elected as the first officers of the church: Thomas Lee, Moderator; John H. Thomas, Clerk;Tab Smith, Treasurer; Tab Smith, John H. Thomas, Frederick Blanton, William Crampton, Thomas Lee and Robert Parrent as Deacons. Rev. James H. Parrish of Louisville was ordained as the first Pastor on October 12,1876. Rev. C.C. Stumm succeeded Rev. Parrish on October 12,1879. Other ministers of the church were: Rev. Rueben Strauss, Rev. James M. Mason ad Rev. E. Richey. Rev. R.H.C. mitchell was called as Pastor on August 9, 1885. During the pastorate of Rev. Mitchell a harmonious relationship was reestablished between Independent and First Bapitst Church. In 1887 the new church was erected across the street from where the previous church was located. Rev. Mitchell remained Pastor for six years. Succeeding Rev. Mitchell was: Rev. W.H. Craighead and Rev. William A. Creditt.
At the regular church meeting October 20, 1892, Rev. Benjamin W. Farris was called to pastor the Indepedent Colored Church. Rev. Farris and W.H. Mayo, church Clerk by order of the church, were successful in having the church name changed to Corinthian Baptist Church.
Following the resignation of Rev. Farris came Re. W. E. DeClaybrook and Rev. D. S. Orner. Rev. E.T. Fishback was called to pastor the church June 1, 1898. The following ministers have served First Corinthian Baptist Church as pastor after Rev. Fishbak's departure around 1905: Rev. Jackson,Rev. Lanier, Rev. Brookens, Rev. Campbell, Rev. Carter, Rev. Stovall, Rev. Smither, Rev. Brockington, Rev. Jenkins, Rev. Fry and Rev. Charles King.